On an international level, core documents in climate policy include the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (1992), in the EU, regulations of the Climate and Energy Package (2008) and in Finland, Climate and Energy Strategy (2008) and the Government Foresight Report regarding climate and energy policy (2009).
Why climate policy?
Climate policy comprises decisions and actions that aim to maintain the globe's climate system steady so that mankind does not cause any harmful disturbances in it. Another goal is as controlled adaptation as possible to the inevitable changes in the climate. The first mentioned goal is entered in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, UNFCCC, 1992, that, on a global scale, is the most important climate political document .
EU and Finland
Developed countries that have ratified the Kyoto Protocol  that specifies the UNFCCC have agreed to a quantitative reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. EU is a party in the Kyoto Protocol and it has allocated its emission reduction requirements to its member states. In addition, EU has set goals for 2020 in its Climate and Energy Package (2008)  and these have been derived into a country-specific "division of burden".
Finland's Climate and Energy Strategy (2008)  examines means that can be used so that we can achieve the goals according to the EU division of burden on a national level. In addition, the Government Foresight Report (2009)  from the second Government lead by Mr. Vanhanen lays out the reduction of emissions and climate policy all the way to 2050 and partly to the end of the current century.
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. 2011. First steps to a safer future: Introducing The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. http://unfccc.int/essential_background/convention/items/6036.php
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. 2011. Kyoto Protocol. http://unfccc.int/kyoto_protocol/items/2830.php
- European Commission. 2010. The EU climate and energy package. http://ec.europa.eu/environment/climat/climate_action.htm
- Työ- ja elinkeinoministeriö. 2008. Pitkän aikavälin ilmasto- ja energiastrategia – Valtioneuvoston selonteko eduskunnalle 6. päivänä marraskuuta 2008. Työ- ja elinkeinoministeriön julkaisuja, Energia ja ilmasto 36/2008. 159 s. http://www.tem.fi/files/21079/TEMjul_36_2008_energia_ja_ilmasto.pdf
- Valtioneuvoston kanslia. 2008. Tulevaisuusselonteko ilmasto- ja energiapolitiikasta: kohti vähäpäästöistä Suomea. Valtioneuvoston kanslian julkaisusarja 28/2009. 180 s. http://www.vnk.fi/julkaisukansio/2009/j28-ilmasto-selonteko-j29-klimat-framtidsredogoerelse-j30-climate_/pdf/fi.pdf